Men Jailed For Life After Death Of Man During A Robbery

2 November 2018, 18:07 | Updated: 2 November 2018, 18:15

Two men have been jailed for the death of a man during an alleged robbery.

Tim Smith and his wife had spent the evening in a Hullbridge pub with a family they knew socially.

The four adults and 14-year-old girl then drove the short distance back to the other family’s home in The Drive to find Andrew McVicar and Colin Garrod waiting for them.

The pair, armed with what appeared to be a gun, demanded they get inside the bungalow.

As the victims went inside, one of the men pushed Mr Smith in the back, causing him to fall and hit his head on a low brick wall.

They spoke to the homeowner and left with a holdall which was said to contain around £50,000.

Before they left, they hauled Mr Smith into the hallway and left.

He had suffered a catastrophic brain injury and never regained consciousness. He died in hospital a day later, on March 20, 2017.

Garrod, McVicar and one of their associates, Jamie Caborn, were later arrested.

McVicar, 35, formerly of Dewsgreen, Basildon, and Garrod, 51, formerly of Crowborough Road, Southend, were each charged with the manslaughter of Mr Smith, affray and possession of an imitation firearm.

They denied the charges and stood trial at Basildon Crown Court on October 1 this year.  They were found guilty of all three charges on October 24.

Both had admitted charges of possession of criminal property at previous hearings in December 2017 and January 2018.
Caborn, 29, was charged with possession of criminal property, which he admitted when he appeared at Basildon Crown Court on January 22, 2018.

Today Garrod and McVicar were given a life sentence with 12 years in prison and a minimum of six years to be served before being eligible for parole.

Caborn was sentenced to an 18 month suspended prison sentence and 150 hours of unpaid work.

Police recovered around £34,000 in total from all three men and an application for a confiscation order will be made under Proceeds of Crime Act in due course.

Detective Chief Inspector, Daniel Stoten said: "This was a needless and senseless attack upon a man who offered absolutely no resistance. He died because of the pure greed and cowardice of McVicar and Garrod. They did not need to attack him and they could have helped him, but they left him to die. As he fought for his life, they were spending their ill-gotten gains. Their sentences today reflect their lengthy and violent criminal history. I hope they do not see freedom until they are very old men."