Electrical Fires Account For 50% Of Callouts

Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service and The Fire Kills campaign are warning everyone not to let electrical failures set your world alight as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week this January.

Shocking statistics show that half of all accidental house fires in 2010 were caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment.

This includes faulty fridges and abandoned irons to dodgy plugs and wiring, electrical equipment can be an unnoticed fire hazard in the home. As the cold weather continues many sockets could still be overloaded with space heaters and electric blankets. 

Faulty or misused electrical products caused 755 fires in Devon and Somerset during 2010; accidental electrical fires in the home resulted in nearly 40 deaths across the country.

Fire investigation officer Mike Burroughs

The Fire Service are working hard to bring this number down, but every individual can take steps to help themselves by checking that the electrical equipment they use every day is in good shape and is operated properly.

Five top tips

·         don’t overload plug sockets

·         regularly check for worn or frayed wires

·         unplug appliances when not in use

·         keep appliances clean and in good working order

·         consider using an RCD – Residual Current Device - which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires

For more information on fire safety please visit


 For more information on the Electrical Safety Council, please visit www.esc.org.uk

The website also holds information on their ‘Plug Into Safety’ campaign.