On Air Now
Early Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 4am - 6:30am
More than half of accidental fires during the Christmas period are started in the kitchen making this a high risk area.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service have produced an M&S inspired video highlighting the dangers of cooking whilst drunk.
This encourages people after having a few drinks to get a take away rather than cooking at home, when there is the risk of putting on a pan to cook and falling asleep.
A quarter of fatal fires throughout the year that we attend are caused by careless cooking, so having a takeaway becomes the sensible choice.
Top Tips There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen:
Plan your escape route
Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency.
Make a fire escape plan and check everyone knows it.
Should a fire break out your family and friends need to be aware of the danger of toxic smoke, most people vastly underestimate it's deadly strength.
They overestimate how long they have to escape should a fire break out.
The reality is that just two to three breaths of smoke in a fire can render a person unconscious.
Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home.
Test your smoke alarms on a regular basis and never remove batteries to power presents!
This Christmas clean your smoke alarms so all your family and friends are safe.