Council And Bus Operators Sign New MK Deal
14 March 2016, 19:02 | Updated: 14 March 2016, 19:14
Milton Keynes Council has signed up to a new Bus Passenger Charter in order to ensure high levels of standards and service for bus users.
To mark the launch of this Charter, representatives from the Council, bus operators and MK BUG were at the National Bowl today (14 March)along with seven buses.
The Charter is the result of collaboration between the Council, MK Bus User Group (MKBUG) and the bus operators with each partner agreeing to a set of ‘promises’.
These promises include:
- Drivers are professional, helpful andrespect all customers
- Passengers will not eat or drink onbuses or leave litter
- The Council will ensure that busshelters are properly maintained
- Transport partners will work togetherto develop the highest quality bus network for Milton Keynes
- Every effortis made to achieve or maintain high standards of punctuality andreliability
- A zero-tolerancepolicy to anti-social or intimidating behaviour is in operation
Cllr Matt Clifton, Cabinet member with responsibility for Transport said:
"This Charter protects bus passengers by setting out the minimum standards they can expect from the Council and bus operators.
We want our local bus services to be reliable, affordable and punctual which is why all the key partners involved have worked hard to produce this agreed list and have committed ourselves to delivering on these promises.”
Peter Ballantyne, chairman of MK BUG said:
“The re-occurring complaint over the years from the bus using public has been the variability of the quality of the services provided. Milton Keynes Bus Users Group decided to produce a Bus Users Charter written from the passenger’s perspective to establish a common framework, and to address the variability between operators.
After 18 months of negotiation with the bus operators and with the cooperation of Milton Keynes Council, we are launching the ‘Milton Keynes Bus Passenger Charter’ which sets a standard that if can be kept to will provide bus services that are second to none throughout the country”.