Life Term For Northants Cop Who Killed Wife

1 February 2016, 12:45 | Updated: 1 February 2016, 12:48

The police officer who tried to cover up his wife's murder by stabbing himself after the killing has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years.

Adrian Goldsmith tried to fool his colleagues at Northamptonshire Police into believing he had acted in self-defence, falsely claiming that his wife Jill had lunged at him with a knife.

But a jury at Stafford Crown Court convicted the former detective last week after hearing evidence which proved he battered his 49 year-old spouse in a sustained attack with a mallet.

Jailing Goldsmith and ordering that he cannot be considered for parole until 2030 at the earliest, Judge Paul Glenn told him:

"What was abundantly plain during the course of your trial was that you set about establishing a defence in an attempt to avoid the consequences of your actions.

You lied repeatedly to the police, to the doctors who were treating you and to the prison chaplain some weeks later when you were on remand.

You had caused injuries to yourself to enable the defence you ran at your trial to get off the ground.''

Goldsmith, wearing a mid-grey suit and a white open-necked shirt, showed little emotion as the judge rejected any suggestion that Mrs Goldsmith had become violent and aggressive - or self-harmed in the minutes before her death.

Judge Glenn added:

"Jill Goldsmith (pictured below) was a mother, a daughter and a friend of many.  No sentence the court can impose can even begin to compensate for the loss and anguish the family are feeling.

Jill Goldsmith


The nature of this attack was such that your victim would inevitably have suffered physically before she died. There were multiple blows, predominantly to the head. She must have been in terror as she fought for her life, as I am satisfied she did.''

Goldsmith, also known as Otis, was a serving officer at the time of the offence and had 28 years of service and a number of commendations.

The 50 year-old was arrested on March 26 last year after his wife was found dead at their home in Wootton Hall Park, Northampton, near Northamptonshire Police headquarters, following a 999 call.

A three-week trial was told a heavy battery and a can of paint were also used as weapons by Goldsmith, who hid the head of the mallet in an airing cupboard.