On Air Now
Early Breakfast with James Stewart 4am - 6:30am
13 December 2018, 16:19 | Updated: 13 December 2018, 16:22
This is the face of the man who set multiple deliberate fires and killed more than half-a-dozen cats in Northampton.
The 32 year-old man who pleaded guilty to setting fire to a number of commercial premises, van and tents across Northampton, and admitted to killing and mutilating seven cats, has today been jailed.
Brendan Gaughan, formerly of Mendip Road, has been sentenced today to 3 years and 9 months at Northampton Crown Court, for the series of arson offences 15th and 16th of June 2018.
During the arson spree, Gaughan destroyed three tents, damaged the Outpost Café and its recycling bins and The Ark floating restaurant, both on Bedford Road, set fire to wheelie bins at the Edward Green Shoe Factory, a Vauxhall van and the Bray Learning and Development Centre at St Andrews Hospital.
In sentencing, the judge also took into consideration other offences that Gaughan admitted responsibility for, which included, seven shed fires that happened in Duston in Nov & Dec 2017, and seven cat killing offences – five in Duston between October and November 2017 and two in Kingsley in September 2017.
Detective Inspector Dave Harley, who led the investigation, said:
"I am pleased that Gaughan has now admitted to the offences in particular the awful crimes committed against the cats.
Hopefully the sentence will give some closure to the families who lost their pets in such a callous and cold hearted way.
At this time there is no evidence to link Gaughan to any other offences elsewhere in the country and I am satisfied that the sentence received reflects the serious and worrying nature of his offending.”
• Shed fires at Chewton Close, Westbury Close, Cheddar Close, Mendip Road and Lovat Drive in Duston.
• The body of Rusty was left in a bag on the owner's doorstep in Northampton
• Cat Topsy was left outside the owner's home in the Kingsley area
• Dead cat in a plastic bag was found in a garden in Chewton Close Duston
• Mutilated body of a cat was found in Duston
• Dismembered cat was discovered in Duston
• Dismembered cat was found in a plastic bag on a doorstep in Mendip Road
• Cat mutilated and left on car roof in Northampton