Trio Jailed For ATM Crime Spree Across The East
14 April 2018, 11:05 | Updated: 14 April 2018, 11:20
Three men (pictured) have been sentenced to more than 30 years in prison for their part in a string of attacks on cash machines in Northants, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Leicester and neighbouring counties last October and November.
On sentencing, the men asked for crimes in Bucks, Norfolk and Northants to be taken into consideration.
They used gas canisters to blow open the ATMs, before using power tools to gain access to the stores to get to the cash – often making off with thousands of pounds.
All three previously admitted eight counts of burglary, three counts of unlawfully and maliciously causing an explosion of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious damage to property, and one count of theft.
At Leicester Crown Court they have been sentenced as follows:
Charlie Smith, 31, of Mere Lane in Bitteswell, Lutterworth: sentenced to 10 years and seven months
Alfie Adams, 36, of Bickershaw Lane in Wigan: sentenced to 12 years
John Doran, 20, of Gelderd Road in Gildersome, Leeds: sentenced to eight years and seven months. He was also given an additional five month sentence for breaching a suspended sentence.
On three occasions, the men used gas canisters to blow up the machines, allowing them to get to the cash inside.
The charges relate to a series of crimes including locally:
- Burglary at Kate’s Cabin, Great North Road, Chesterton, Cambs, on 28 Oct 2017
- Burglary at Shell Petrol Station, Brook Street, Tring, Herts, on 8 Nov 2017
- Burglary at Co-Operative store in Bignal Court, Kettering, Northants, on 21 Nov 2017
- Burgle and unlawfully and maliciously cause an explosion of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious damage to property at Co-operative store in Burwell, Cambs, on 22 Nov 2017
All three had other burglary offences taken in to consideration including:
- Nationwide Greevegate, Hunstanton, Norfolk, on 27 Sept 2017
- Shell garage, Princes Risborough, on 3 Oct 2017
- Co-Op High Street, Crick, Northants, on 4 Oct 2017
- Spar, High Street, Raunds, Northants, on 4 October 2017
- Co-Op, Oundle, Northants, on 24 Oct 2017
- Tesco, High Street, Weedon, Northants on 1 Nov 2017