Two Northants Brave Cops Honoured

18 July 2016, 06:19 | Updated: 18 July 2016, 06:51

Two brave policemen from Northants - who had to deal with a man stabbing at them with a samurai sword have been recognised at a National Bravery Awards.

The police federation honours officers from around the country who perform outstanding acts of bravery either on or off-duty, like Rob Monk and Gary Liddle.

Rob and Gary were nominated for their actions following an incident in November 2014, when a typical Sunday evening took a dangerous turn after a call came in about a man causing damage to cars with a baseball bat in an address in Northampton. 

Arriving at the scene, the officers found the damaged cars and could see there was damage at a nearby house. There were concerns the man may attempt to take his own life, and he had mental health problems.

The officers, one armed with taser and both with protective shields, approached the front door of the property where the man was yelling aggressively from inside and continually tried to keep the officers outside. At one point, PC Monk managed to jam his foot in the doorway.

Suddenly, the offender lunged at the officers and stabbed PC Monk in the leg with a samurai style sword he had hidden behind the door.

PC Liddle acted quickly, knowing the offender was still armed, and pulled PC Monk, who was bleeding heavily, from the doorway.  The sword had penetrated PC Monk’s thigh straight through, and was close to a main artery and he was bleeding heavily. While PC Liddle improvised a tourniquet, PC Monk used his taser to afford some protection to his partner while further help arrived. PC Liddle then rushed his colleague to hospital for immediate treatment, all the while genuinely fearing for PC Monk’s life.

Gez Jackson, chairman of the Northamptonshire Police Federation, said:

"The bravery and professionalism shown by officers Monk and Liddle went above and beyond the normal call of duty. Both men put their own safety at risk, and PC Monk suffered a very serious injury in the process of trying to protect the public."

PC Monk's recovery continues, some 20 months on.

See the moment the officers were attacked here: