Kitchen fire safety

It's official the kitchen is the most dangerous room in your house.

The warning comes from Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue, who say more than half of the house fires they attend start there, they were called out to 130 kitchen fires last year alone.

The service is running a ‘Cooksafe’ campaign to try and make people aware of the dangers.

Heart's been finding out more from Andy Gillingham

Listen to the interview

They says it’s important to keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order because a build-up of fat and grease can start a fire. Take care when cooking with oil – if it starts to smoke, it’s too hot, so just turn off the heat and leave to cool. Don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol.

Find more kitchen safety tips here

Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue have also released a video of what damage can be cause, featuring a Cheltenham woman, whose house was damaged by a kitchen fire. She also suffered burns to her forehead. 



A smoke alarm is the simplest single step you can take to cut the risk of dying from fire in your home. Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service will install smoke alarms free of charge while carrying out a home fire safety check. To book a visit or for further information please call 01452 753333 and ask for the Community Safety team.