On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with JK & Kelly Brook 6:30am - 10am
5 August 2010, 17:48 | Updated: 5 August 2010, 17:51
A drug user, whose friend collapsed and died as they shared a wrap of heroin at a hostel in Watford, has been jailed for two months.
Judge Michael Kay QC told 31 year old Jay Wilson; "If there were a clearer example to you of the tragic effects of drugs, I don't know what it could be. You were very distressed and if you don't learn your lesson by it you never will. You have a terrible record and have wasted your life but it is now your chance to take a new course. It will be hard but it is not too late."
Wilson, of Muriel Avenue, Watford pleaded guilty at Luton Crown Court to two charges of possessing Class A drugs.
Prosecutor Sarah Porter said he was originally charge with supplying the heroin and cocaine, but it had been decided to offer no evidence on this charges.
She said on Sept 17 last year he and Richard Darrah were at a hostel for ex offenders in Watford, when Mr. Darrah collapsed from a suspected drugs overdose. He died later in hospital.
Charles Judge, defending said the two men had bought three wraps for £60 between them. His friend had been smoking the heroin, but then decided to inject himself which led to the overdose.
"His death has had a significant impact on him. The perils of taking drugs has been brought home to him and he is determined not to return to his old lifestyle on his release from prison."
Wilson is currently serving a jail term for an unrelated offence during which he has been tackling his drug problem, said the defence barrister. The two month sentence will run concurrently with the sentence he is serving.