Giant Snail Crosses Marathon Finish Line

13 May 2011, 11:50 | Updated: 13 May 2011, 12:19

An extreme fundraiser has completed his toughest challenge yet after crawling the length of the London Marathon.

Lloyd Scott inched his way along the 26.2-mile course face-down on a sled, cooped up in a giant costume of Brian the Snail from the Magic Roundabout.

Lloyd ScottCrossing the finish line after 26 days of pain, he's been telling Heart: "That's not an experience I want to repeat."

Mr Scott, 49, who used to play for Watford but now lives in Rainham in Essex, spent up to eight hours a day on the course, and suffered constant nosebleeds, vomiting and cramps.

He crawled through the streets - across broken glass, nails and dog mess - in an attempt to help children with mobility issues by raising £200,000 for Action For Kids.

But he said he has only managed a 10th of that so far and urged the public to support him.

Speaking in The Mall outside Buckingham Palace, he said: "It's an enormous relief to finish.

"Every day has been like a 'ground-snail day'.

Lloyd Scott"The big problems have been the weather because it gets very very hot inside, and then there are the deposits that are left on the pavement - glass, nails, doggy doo-dah, takeaway meals.

"Having to manoeuvre has also been incredibly difficult, crossing roads, getting up and down the pavements.

"I've been doing a mile a day and that's pretty much my limit, after that everything starts to seize up."

Mr Scott, who is 6ft 2in and started the race on April 17 weighing 17 stone, tackled the course on a metal sled, using a pair of handles, his knees and toes to scrape his way along.

The face-down position meant continual nosebleeds and he had to rush to hospital at one point to have the blood vessels in his nose cauterised.

He has also been sick inside the 9ft-long contraption because he has not been able to digest food properly.

But he said: "It has been very demanding but I want the focus to be on the charity.

"It's all been about raising money to change these young kids' lives and help them realise their potential.

"I've chosen to make this difficult for myself but these kids don't have that choice. Every day they're confronted with mobility issues."

Mr Scott has raised more than £5 million for charity since his first London Marathon in 1990 after he fought off leukaemia.

The former professional footballer, who also played for Blackpool and Leyton Orient, once ran the marathon in an antique diving suit and has also completed an underwater marathon in Loch Ness.

But he said this was the toughest marathon challenge yet and over the past week he has often considered quitting.

He said: "This has been by far the hardest. It's not an experience I want to repeat. I'm not sure anyone can understand what I've been putting myself through.

"I haven't even thought about what I'm going to do now, it's just enough to know what I haven't got to do.''

He said he will have to have time to recover before thinking about any further challenges.

As he was presented with his marathon medal, he joked: "Right, lap of honour... I don't think so.''