Police Calls Rocket

21 September 2011, 10:13 | Updated: 21 September 2011, 10:29

Hertfordshire's police have been telling Heart they're pleased at how many people are now dialling 101 to contact them.

Hertfordshire Constabulary brought in the new non-emergency contact number in July 2011.

More than two thousand calls are now being made to the number every week to report things like crimes that have already happened.  Police say you must still call 999 in an emergency, for example if a crime is still happening or there's an immediate threat to life or property.

In total, more than 15,000 calls have been made to the 101 number in Hertfordshire in its first two months.

Superintendent Rob Henry, who manages the Force Communications Room, said: "We have had a really positive response to the new non-emergency number so far. I am really pleased that we are starting to see more people using it and realising the benefits.

"While the numbers of call changes are small at the moment, we hope that this is something we will continue to build on and see grow in the coming months."

The 101 number replaces Hertfordshire Constabulary's previous non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222, but the 0845 number will continue to be in place until early 2012, running in tandem with 101 to make sure there's a smooth transition.

Calls to 101 are 15p for the duration of the call, whether from a landline or a mobile. Alternatively, for those who had free calls to 0845 numbers in their service plan, landline number 01707 354000 will continue to be available and is free on many phone service plans.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, the textphone service 18001 101 is still available.

All police forces in England and Wales are due to adopt the 101 non-emergency number by early 2012.  Herts Police is in the first phase of forces to adopt 101, along with the Metropolitan Police, Essex Police and the City of London Police.

The non-emergency number is a 24/7 service which should be used for all police matters of a non-urgent nature, including:
If you want to give police information about a crime in the area.
If you want to contact a local police officer (such as someone from your Safer Neighbourhood Team).
If your property has been stolen or damaged and it is not a crime in progress.
If you suspect drug use and dealing in your area.
Hertfordshire Constabulary say people should continue to call their district/borough council for things like dumping and fly tipping and nuisance noise.