Clubber Jailed After Driving Car Onto Dancefloor

10 January 2019, 17:01 | Updated: 10 January 2019, 17:16

21 year old Mohammed Abdul mug shot

A clubber who drove his car onto a packed dance floor in a drink and drug-fuelled rage after being thrown out by bouncers in Gravesend has been jailed for 28 years.

Mohammed Abdul said he felt "humiliated" after being thrown out of Blake's nightclub in Gravesend, on March 17 last year.

He drank at least 15 glasses of vodka, tequila shots and had "five to 10 spliffs" before getting behind the wheel.

Bouncers had ejected him for being too drunk.

He refused to leave and threatened to kill them before returning 10 minutes later with his car - injuring eight people.

The 21-year-old said he only intended to "make a nuisance of himself to get his own back on the door staff".

But his actions left 18-year-old Katie Wells with a fractured pelvis.

Cameraman Pierre Jermaine Joseph, who had gone to the club to film grime rapper Giggs, was left with a fractured shinbone.

A jury found Abdul, of Deptford in south-east London, guilty of two counts of attempted murder at a re-trial at Maidstone Crown Court.

Today, (January 10) he was handed two concurrent 28-year sentences.

Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb, sentencing, branded his attempts to dodge responsibility "shameful", telling the court that victims could have easily been killed in the attack and the injuries to Ms Wells could render her infertile.

She said: "Your motive was selfish and pathetic: it was revenge at being thrown out for being drunk.

"Your action led to panic and distress among dozens of people. Your actions have thrown away many of the best years of your own life."

Described by the prosecution as a determined and deliberate attempt to kill, using his car as a weapon, the attack was captured on CCTV.

The footage from inside the club showed Abdul driving past bouncers, coursing down an alleyway packed with clubbers before stopping and then accelerating onto the dancefloor in a marquee connected to the venue.