Dad Guilty for 'Death of Defenceless Child'

Christopher Sellman was arrested back in November 2008, a day after baby Tiffany died.

Sellman, previously from Greggs Wood Road, Tunbridge Wells was charged on 4 June 2009.

He pleaded not guilty and a trial began at Maidstone Crown Court on 1 February 2010.  Sentencing has been adjourned until 28 April 2010.

On 1 November 2008 Tiffany Sellman Burdge died, just 25 days old, at Kings College Hospital in London. 

Kent Police began an investigation into the death and arrested Christopher Sellman on suspicion of murder on 2 November 2008.  He was later released on bail pending further investigation until 2 February 2009.

Throughout the investigation officers established that Sellman could not give an accurate account of what had happened to Tiffany prior to his 999 call.  The court heard how Sellman had told a number of people at least five different accounts of what had happened.

DCI Dave Chewter said: 'I'm pleased the courts have found Sellman guilty for the death of a defenceless child.  He has never been able to provide a consistent account of what happened to Tiffany and I am pleased the jury has delivered todays verdict.

DCI Chewter continued: 'Tiffany was a well cared for baby, her mother Pamela looked after her with love and devotion.  She left her daughter with Christopher, Tiffany's father, on just this one occasion whilst she visited family for the first time since the birth.  When she left the house, Tiffany was well and had just been fed.  She left her daughter in the hands of someone who should have been there to protect and keep her safe. 

'Pamela's life has been turned upside down and to this day, she continues to struggle with her terrible loss.'

Sellman called an ambulance just after 3pm on 1 November 2008 claiming Tiffany was losing colour and had gone 'all floppy'.  An ambulance arrived at their home in Greggs Road and treated Tiffany before taking her to Kent and Sussex hospital for further treatment.

A CT scan was carried out at the hospital which revealed a fractured skull and bleeding in the brain.  Tiffany was taken to Kings College Hospital at 2030 the same day.  At 2220 Tiffany Sellman Burdge died at Kings College Hospital.

Statement from Tiffany's mother Pamela Burdge: 'The loss and pain I feel as a result of my beautiful daughter Tiffany's death is indescribable, I will never get over it.

 'I will never be able to understand why Chris never told the truth, but I am relieved justice has been served.'