Five Sentenced Over Gillingham Murder

14 June 2018, 12:59 | Updated: 14 June 2018, 13:00

Kyle Yule

Five teenagers have been locked up for between 16 and 24 years for the murder of a boy stabbed in the street in Gillingham.

The court heard a gang of rival teenagers targeted Kyle Yule during a "revenge attack" on October 6.

The 17-year-old was stabbed five times after being chased from a parked car and died in hospital the next morning.

The killing followed months of tit-for-tat attacks between teenagers in Medway towns.

Gining them all sentences of detention for life at Maidstone Crown Court on Thursday, Judge Adele Williams said: "This was a revenge attack. It was a senseless, ruthless and calculated killing, for which not one of you has at any stage shown any sign of remorse."

Victor Maibvisira, 19, Shezakia Daley, 18, both of Gillingham, Tyler Ralph, of Hertfordshire, and Ephrain Akinwunmi-Streets, of Sittingbourne, both 17, and 16-year-old Jordan Dania, of Croydon, were all convicted of his murder after an eight-week trial.

They will serve their sentences in youth detention centres, until the defendants turn 21.

Maibvisira will serve a minimum term of 24 years, while the other defendants each have a minimum term of 16.

Judge Williams warned they may never be released.

Kyle's mother Nikki called her son's killers "cowards" and said they had "ruined lives forever".

She said: "Kyle was loving, kind-hearted, warm, funny, handsome and full of life. He was my best friend.

"You were cowards running around with weapons.

"How dare you sit there and look forward to your birthdays.

"I had to arrange a funeral for my son when I should have been planning his 18th birthday."

During the trial, the court heard the five defendants, including Maibvisira, were on East Street when they came across a car with Kyle inside.

To try and get him out of the vehicle, an eyewitness told police the "group were smashing the car as if they were possessed".

Kyle escaped from the car and ran towards the home of his best friend where he was knocked to the ground and attacked in the front garden.

Akinwunmi-Streets, Daley, Ralph and Dania were granted anonymity during the trial due to their age but following the jury's verdict the judge allowed their names and the towns in which they lived to be reported