Man Gets Life For Kent Car Park Murder

30 March 2017, 07:10 | Updated: 30 March 2017, 12:00

John Dickson murderer

A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment following the death of 20-year-old Carl Gregory in Broadstairs.

He will serve a minimum of 18 years in prison.

Mr Gregory was kicked and strangled during the altercation at a shopping centre car park in Margate Road, shortly after 9.45pm on Tuesday 4 October 2016.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

John Dickson, 27, of Northdown Road, Cliftonville, was subsequently arrested and charged with Mr Gregory’s murder.

He denied the charge but was convicted on Wednesday 29 March 2017 following a trial at Maidstone Crown Court.

The jury heard how a friend of Mr Gregory’s had fallen out with him over a social media post, and that she had asked another man to speak to him about it.

He arranged to meet Mr Gregory at the shopping centre and took Dickson with him. A fight broke out between the man and Mr Gregory, which led to Dickson becoming involved and placing Mr Gregory in a choke hold.

The victim was also kicked while he was on the ground.

An ambulance was called after Mr Gregory’s body was discovered by workers who were leaving nearby shops, but he was declared dead at the scene. The cause of his death was later recorded as compression of the neck.

Dickson was arrested at his home address later the same evening.

Detective Sergeant Ross Gurden of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: "This was a tragic death of a popular young man who had his whole life in front of him.

"Carl Gregory is sorely missed by his family and friends due to the actions of John Dickson, who went out of his way to confront him. I hope today’s outcome is of comfort to all those who loved Carl.

"I hope this case reinforces the message that the use of violence to resolve issues can result in life changing consequences. Dickson is a young man who will now serve a considerable length of time behind bars as a result of a complete disregard of the consequences of his actions."

A second man who was also charged with Mr Gregory’s murder was found not guilty by the jury.

From Kent Police