Margate Mother Won't Face Murder Trial
11 June 2019, 16:44 | Updated: 11 June 2019, 16:51
A woman from Margate who admitted drowning her toddler twins following the breakdown of her relationship will not face trial for their murder.
Samantha Ford, 38, had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter by diminished responsibility of Jake and Chloe Ford, who were 23 months old.
But she denied murdering the children on Boxing Day last year.
Now prosecutors have said they will accept the plea to the lesser charge after considering psychiatric reports.
Police found the bodies of Jake and Chloe Ford when they went to their home in Castle Drive the day after Boxing Day last year, after their mother's car was involved in a crash with a lorry.
At a hearing before Mr Justice Edis at the Old Bailey today, Prosecutor Ed Brown QC said they had accepted the lesser plea of manslaughter by diminished reponsibility.
He said: "We have considered all the reports and all the facts to do with this case very carefully. It is a case of great sensitivity in all respects.
"I have taken instructions from those instructing me, and the father of the deceased children has of course been consulted in respect of this question.
"The result of those consultations are that those pleas are to be acceptable and the Crown does not ask for a trial in respect of those two counts of murder."
The defendant, who is in custody, was not required to attend the brief hearing, at which the judge ordered a further psychiatric report to examine Ford's current mental state.
Mr Justice Edis adjourned sentencing to July 26, when he will consider a disposal under the mental health act.
The senior judge accepted the prosecution's decision, saying the reasons would become "obvious" at the next hearing.