Port of Dover Delays Cause Travel Misery
23 July 2016, 21:07 | Updated: 24 July 2016, 00:02
Drivers have been delayed for up to 12 hours on the way to the Port of Dover because of extra security checks.
Drivers have faced two days of misery as they try to make their way to the Port of Dover and it’s expected to continue for the next two days.
Facing delays of up to 12 hours on the A2 and A/M20, 11,000 bottles of water have been given out to those who were stranded.
It could be a long night, as police think the chaos could last between 36 and 48 hours, so those just joining the end of the queue could have a night in their cars ahead of them.
The disruption is due to extra security checks after the attacks in Nice last week at the request of French Authorities.
Questions have been raised about the amount of staff in place to handle the increased checks, with some claiming there was only one member of staff on overnight on Friday.
Others took to Twitter to describe their journey:
@arnett_laura said : It's been a long day! Finally at the port just another 2 hours to go then we may be on our holidays #DoverDelays
In the sun earlier many got out of their vehicles, but the police quickly asked people to remain at their cars as it was causing more delays as the traffic was stop start. Officers encouraged people to keep their cars ventilated too.
The delays are going on in to the night and some have reported that it could take 30 hours from some areas to get to the port.
The latest from @POferriesupdate
Estimated waiting time: A20/M20 up to 12 hours
A2/A256: up to 1hour
Once you arrive at the port there is a further 2 hour wait.
@IainPhilpott is furious as he has been in the traffic for hours after leaving his home at 4am on Saturday morning. He says the delays are much worse than the 12 hours most are expecting.
Iain spoke to us from his car.
We've also been told that Operation Stack will not be put in place as that is only for Freight.
Kent County Council Statement:
Kent Police Statement
Disruption on the roads leading to Dover is set to continue for the next 36 to 48 hours.
Ferry crossings are continuing as usual as the Port of Dover, Highways England and Kent Police work together to minimise delays to motorists and clear the backlog of traffic.
Motorists are currently experiencing delays of approximately seven hours. The delays are due to increased security by the French Authorities and a vast volume of holiday traffic. Traffic is queuing back from Dover for around 12 miles.
Motorists are advised to take plenty of food and water and to check with travel operators before making their trips. If possible, consider making alternative routes or travel arrangements.
Kent Police is urging motorists to remain with their vehicles - traffic is stop and start and exiting vehicles can be dangerous. Delays have also been caused by motorists not being with their vehicles when traffic starts moving.
Kent Police has assisted Highways England by enforcing a partial lane closure of the London-bound A20 so that water can be given to motorists on the Dover-bound carriageway. Lane one remains open.
The water is being handed out on the motorway by officers from HM Coastguard and Kent Police. Its provision has been arranged by Kent County Council.
Anyone who has an urgent medical issue should call 999 in the case of an emergency and 111 if the matter is not urgent.
In order to stay safe drink regularly, wear sunscreen and keep vehicles well ventilated.
For further information, please contact your travel operator, visithttp://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information or follow @HighwaysSEAST on Twitter. The Port of Dover is also providing travel updates via @POD_travelnews.
Posted on: Updated at 6.30pm on 23 July 2016