DJ Murder Sentence

1 May 2015, 19:12 | Updated: 1 May 2015, 19:17

A man who fled to Nigeria after stabbing and killing a part time DJ outside a club in Kennington's been jailed for at least 17 years.

Carl Beatson-Asiedu, was set upon and stabbed in the heart as he left a club with friends in 2009.

His killer Jeffrey Okafor, 24, confessed to the murder to his girlfriend, but fled to Nigeria on his brother's passport - sparking a five year manhunt.

He was eventually extradited and was found guilty on Thursday 30 April 2015 of murder after a trial at London's Woolwich Crown Court.

Sentencing him on Friday 1 May to life with a minimum of 17 years and 146 days, Judge Christopher Kinch QC said: "I have concluded that this was an entirely unprovoked and unnecessary attack in a public place.

"This has been aggravated by the fact that it was a group attack in a public place with violence involving a number of people and that you took a knife to the scene to use in that attack.

"The fact that you chose to lie low and then leave the country is not something I can properly regard as an aggravating factor.

"However, it demonstrates a complete absence of remorse and an overwhelming interest in self-preservation.

"The consequence is that the ordeal for Carl Beatson-Asiedu's family has been greatly extended and drawn out."

Okafor showed no emotion as the sentence was passed with members of both his and Mr Beatson-Asiedu's family looking on from the public gallery.

Mr Beatson-Asiedu, 19, was a university student and DJ who was well known in the club scene as DJ Charmz.

He had also appeared in the BBC children's series M.I. High.

He had been playing a gig at Club Life near Vauxhall Station in south London, but was fatally attacked as he left the venue in the early hours of Saturday August 1 2009.

Mr Beatson-Asiedu and his friends were walking to their car when they were approached by a group of men.

An argument broke out and the TV star became separated from his pals and was stabbed by Okafor.

He collapsed on the street where his friends found him, bundled him into their car and set off towards the hospital.

Police officers saw them and tried to revive the CBBC star in the seat, but he died from a single stab wound.

Within an hour of the attack, Okafor telephoned his girlfriend and told her he had been involved in the incident, stating "there had been a madness".

A few days later, he allegedly told the same woman he had stabbed Charmz in the stomach.

He gave her a pair of black gloves to look after and asked her to "bin" his distinctive T-shirt.

The gloves were later found to have Mr Beatson-Asiedu's DNA on them.

Later that day, when he returned home, Okafor seemed agitated and said "I'm going down" and "The Feds are going to be on to me", prosecutor Sarah Whitehouse QC told the court.

On August 13, police went to his home planning to arrest him and search the house for clues, but Okafor escaped before police arrived.

He lay low for a time and then early on August 17 2009 he took a flight from Heathrow Airport to Lagos - using his brother's passport, the court heard.

He was extradited from Nigeria in November 2014.