Boys Made Up Attempted Abduction Claim

21 June 2011, 06:00

A group of boys have been told off for wasting police time after saying a man tried to get them into his van.

Thames Valley Police have been investigating four attempted child abductions in Milton keynes over the last two weeks - but now can confirm that a fourth report of an attempted abduction on a group of boys in Milton Keynes was false.

Three of the four boys have admitted making up reports that a man in a van approached them on Wednesday (15/6), in Plaistow Crescent, Monkston Park, and told them to get in the vehicle. 

Chf Insp Ed McLean, Deputy Commander for Milton Keynes Local Policing Area, said: “The boys have been given a stern talking to by officers about wasting police time and the seriousness of making false reports to the police. Officers have also spoken to their parents.

“We did have some reservations about this report when it came in as the description of the offender was so different. However we have to treat each report as being genuine and as a result many hours of officers’ time was wasted taking statements and arranging interviews.

“We understand that these incidents have scared people and as a result we have been inundated with calls about people in vans. We are trying to get back to people as fast as we can but due to the sheer number of calls we are prioritising them and responding accordingly.

“Most of the calls are members of the public reporting suspicious vehicles or suggesting people the offender could be. However, I would like to stress that we haven’t had any more attempted abductions reported to us since last Thursday.

“We will continue to maintain an increased police presence in the areas where the incidents happened and we have sent a letter out to all the local schools for them to give to parents. I would like to reassure residents that we are taking the three genuine reports very seriously and continue to investigate a number of leads.”  

Police arrested a 47-year-old man, of no fixed abode on Sunday (June 19th), in connection with the offences and he has been released on police bail until 5 August.