Kate Middleton makes touching Christmas sacrifice for the Queen
8 December 2021, 11:20 | Updated: 9 December 2021, 16:35
The Duchess of Cambridge is set to spend Christmas with Prince William and their three children at Sandringham with the Queen.
Listen to this article
Instead of spending the festive period with her parents, Carole and Michael, and the rest of the Middleton family, the Duchess of Cambridge will be spending Christmas 2021 at Sandringham with the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family.
Since she married into the Royal Family, Kate has only spent two Christmases with her side of the family, and the rest at Sandringham for the traditional Royal Christmas.
- The thoughtful homemade gift Kate Middleton gave the Queen for Christmas
- The Queen always leaves a gift in her great-grandchildren's rooms when they stay over
- Princess Charlotte copies the Queen's wave in adorable unearthed video
While of course we do not know how these things are planned, the pattern appears to show that the Cambridge family spend the festive period with the Middleton family every four years.
They celebrated with the Kate's side of the family in 2012 and then again in 2016, which would make Christmas 2021 the Middleton family's turn to spend December 25 with the Cambridge family.
However, it is possible that the family have decided to be with the the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family this year due to the fact they were all separated last year due to the pandemic.
Of course, another factor could be that this will be the Queen's first Christmas without her beloved husband, Prince Philip, who passed away earlier this year.
Royal expert Katie Nicholl told OK! Magazine that the Kate and William did originally try to do alternative Christmases with their sides of the family, however, they have since put "duty" first.
She explained to the publication: “In the early years of being a family, they did try and alternate Christmas.
"One year with the Queen and the Royal Family and the next year with the Middleton’s. But Kate and William put duty before self and we can see that, now more than ever.”
Read more Royal Family news:
- The defining moment Kate Middleton became a 'high ranking royal' this weekend
- Kate Middleton wears two pieces of Princess Diana's jewellery to Festival of Remembrance
- First look at new statues of the Queen and Prince Philip going on display in London