Manhunt for Bournemouth beach attacker enters fourth day after fatal stabbing of woman

28 May 2024, 11:11 | Updated: 28 May 2024, 16:39

Police are hunting for a man who stabbed 34-year-old Amie Gray to death on a Bournemouth beach on Friday night.

Another woman, 38, is still in hospital receiving treatment after sustaining serious injuries.

Dorset Police were called to reports of two women who had been stabbed on Durley Chine Beach at around 11.45pm on Friday.

They believe the attacker acted alone and released CCTV images that reportedly show the suspect at the scene. In them, a man wears dark clothing with his hood pulled over his head.

"If you recognise him or have any information, no matter how small, that may lead us to his identity please get in touch immediately," said Detective Superintendent Richard Dixey.

A 17-year-old from Lancashire was arrested on Sunday but later released without charge and "eliminated from enquiries".

DSI Dixey said officers will be in Bournemouth "conducting extensive enquiries, including detailed house-to-house visits" and the public can expect to "see a very overt and planned police presence in and around the Bournemouth area" in the coming days.

Dorset Futsal Club, where Ms Gray was a member, paid tribute to her in a post on Facebook.

"Today the club has received some truly devastating news. We cannot put this into words."

Read more from Sky News:
'Danger to life' warnings issued with flooding and storms expected
Footballers jailed for over 100 years after selling cocaine worth up to £260m

Tributes were paid to Ms Gray, from nearby Poole, in the comments underneath the post.

"It was very obvious that she was driven and passionate about the team's success," said one Facebook user.

"I for one will miss her for that. This is so hard to accept."

Another said she "was always having a laugh and had a smile on her face. [She] was always there to help where she could and I couldn't think of anyone who would want to hurt her in any way."

Officers have partially lifted the cordon on the promenade and beach but the Durley Chine car park remains closed to the public, according to the Bournemouth Daily Echo.

A cordon remains in place at the West Cliff Zig-Zag and officers were seen searching the area on Tuesday morning, according to the paper.