The King breaks convention with a fist bump at Buckingham Palace, while greeting Prince's Trust Awards winners

22 May 2024, 14:57 | Updated: 22 May 2024, 18:20

The King shared a fist bump and greeted winners of the Prince's Trust Awards in his latest public appearance.

The monarch was pictured skipping the formal handshake with Tyler West, a presenter and DJ, at Buckingham Palace while celebrating the 20th edition of the awards ceremony.

Hosted on Tuesday, the Prince's Trust Awards "shines a light on the inspirational stories of young people, volunteers and those who support their wider communities".

Charles was also pictured greeting Declan Donnelly, who hosted the ceremony, and his wife Ali Astall, as well as celebrities Martin Freeman, Ellie Simmonds and Johannes Radebe.

One of the award winners present was Cherelle, a 31-year-old single mum-of-four from Birmingham, who became a healthcare assistant after attending a Prince's Trust NHS programme.

She won the Homesense young achiever award and said: "It's an amazing feeling.

"I still can't believe I've won an award. My girls are so proud of me, which means the world."

Other winners at the Palace include Arti, who is based in India and used part-time roles as a maid to support her daughter.

She arrived in a pink rickshaw after winning the Amal Clooney women's empowerment award.

Read more on Sky News:
Rishi Sunak calls General Election for 4 July
Mixed reception for new Princess of Wales portrait

A Prince's Trust International programme, supported by the Aga Khan Foundation, introduced Arti to a state government Pink Rickshaw campaign, where female passengers are provided with the transport driven by female drivers.

It comes as the King has been making a string of public appearances, with his most recent being a service of dedication at St Paul's Cathedral with the Queen.

He also recently joked about being "allowed out of my cage" while visiting an army barracks in Surrey earlier this month.

The King has only recently returned to public duties following the public announcement of his cancer treatment.

The reception was held hours before Buckingham Palace said in a statement the royals would postpone engagements "which may appear to divert attention or distract from the election campaign".

The statement from the King and Queen said: "Following the Prime Minister's statement this afternoon calling a general election, the royal family will - in accordance with normal procedure - postpone engagements that may appear to divert attention or distract from the election campaign.

"Their Majesties send their sincere apologies to any of those who may be affected as a result."