Doctor Warns Of The Dangers Of Fireworks

2 November 2012, 06:00

An A and E doctor from Norfolk has been talking to Heart about the dangers of fireworks.

Many A and E units see an increase in patient numbers around this time of year – many of them because of burns received during firework displays.

NHS statistics show that the majority of firework-related injuries happen at family or private parties.

And around half of all injuries are to children under the age of 17.

Jonathon Baldry, a consultant at the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston said:

“This time of year is busy for us. Hand burns from sparklers or from fireworks gone off inadvertently are common accidents.

“Teenage lads are the commonest people we see but it can be any age really.

“We do see some younger children too who may have picked up discarded sparklers and received burns to the hand.

“We don’t want to stop people enjoying themselves but please use you common sense and that will hopefully reduce the risk of any injury.”

Sparklers are the cause of many hospital admissions each year. One sparkler burns five times hotter than cooking oil and three sparklers burning together are as hot as a blow torch.

However, fireworks are safer now than they have ever been in the past thanks to tighter safety regulations.

Anybody operating fireworks should always read The Firework Code first;

  1.  Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
  2. Never give sparklers to a child under 5
  3. Buy fireworks marked BS 7114
  4. Keep fireworks in a closed box
  5. Follow the instructions on each firework
  6. Light them at arms length using a taper
  7. Stand well back
  8. Never go back to a lit firework
  9. Never put fireworks in your pocket
  10. Never throw fireworks
  11. Always keep pets indoors

 For more information visit: