On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Toby Anstis 7pm - 10pm
4 November 2010, 14:36 | Updated: 4 November 2010, 15:42
Every year people hurt themselves on fireworks night, but doctors are telling the public that if they follow the rules, they can avoid any accidents.
Doctors are reminding people to keep fireworks in a closed metal box, taking them out one at a time. They also suggest having a bucket of water close by to put out any small fires that may occur, using a bucket of dirt to put the fireworks in and using eye protection and gloves when handling fireworks.
Donna Wade, A&E Consultant at the James Paget University Hospital, said: “Every year we see several members of the public who have injured themselves with fireworks. The injuries can be really severe and the damage can be permanent.
“These accidents are really unnecessary and could be avoided by sticking to the rules and being safe before regretting it later.”
One of the common injuries is from sparklers. Children should always be supervised with sparklers and they should never be given to a child younger than five. Sparklers should be lit one at a time and gloves should be worn when using them. Used sparklers should be put hot end down into a bucket of sand or water.
Dr Wade added: “We really want all parents and carers to take extra care with children when using sparklers. Take special care with all children, especially small children, when near a bonfire. Stand well back and follow the sparkler rules.”
Doctors would also like to remind people that medical advice is also available by calling NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or by visiting the website www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk.
Dr Jamie Wyllie, Medical Director for NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney, said: “Remember the other firework rules: keep pets indoors, never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them, never throw spent fireworks on a bonfire and take care around bonfires – all clothes, even those labelled ‘low flammability’, can catch fire.”