On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
10 April 2013, 16:24 | Updated: 10 April 2013, 16:56
A man's murder charge has been dropped after a stabbing at Norfolk boxer Herbie Hyde's house
On Wednesday 10 April 2013 at Norwich Crown Court, Judge Peter Jacobs dismissed the case against Joshua Burton, who had been charged with the murder of Tafadzwa Khan (known as Taffy) at a party in Bawburgh in March 2012, following an application by the Crown Prosecution Service in conjunction with Norfolk Constabulary.
Frank Ferguson, Senior District Prosecutor for CPS East of England said: "The case of Joshua Burton, charged with the murder of Tafadzwa Khan in Bawburgh, Norfolk, on 17 March 2012, has been discontinued today at Norwich Crown Court after further evidence was received.
"The CPS has a duty to keep cases under continuous review and when we considered the evidence, which was not available at the time of charge, it was apparent it undermined the prosecution case so that it could not go ahead.
"In these circumstances it would be wrong of us to continue with a prosecution and after discussions with Norfolk Police and prosecuting counsel, we decided to discontinue the case against Joshua Burton.
"I have met with the mother of Mr Khan to explain the reasons for this decision. I also offer my condolences to his family for their loss."
Head of the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, Detective Superintendent John Brocklebank, said: "We constantly review cases during the investigation stages and in preparation for court, and we agree with the decision taken by the Crown Prosecution Service to request that the case against Joshua Burton is discontinued.
"Whilst we are disappointed that the case is not being proceeded with, we will refocus our efforts into bringing to justice those responsible for Taffy's murder. We know there are people who were at the party in Bawburgh and know what happened, but have not come forward. It was a busy party with guests from across the country, but only a small number of them have been able to assist the investigation so far.
"They may have felt scared or intimidated â€“ but their help is vital to give answers to Taffy's family, and I would urge them to contact police. We will treat any information we receive sensitively and in confidence, so I want all those who attended the party to think back to a year ago and call the Major Investigation Team with any information, however insignificant it may seem."
Taffy's mother Shereen Sinclair said: "People need to come forward if they have any information about what happened to my son. I know there is a wall of silence and people might be frightened, but my family and I need to know how Taffy was taken away from us.
"After the decision at court today, I do not want anyone to take the law into their own hands. I don't want another mother to be crying like I am. Please tell the police if you have any information that might help."
Anyone with information about Taffy's murder should call the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team on 101.
Note to editors: a photo of Taffy Khan is attached.