Norfolk Woman's Killer Attacks Child Murderer Mark Bridger

11 September 2013, 17:28 | Updated: 11 September 2013, 17:36

A man who raped and murdered a Norfolk grandmother has admitted attacking child killer Mark Bridger in jail.

Juvinai Ferreira, 22, was serving a life sentence for killing Elaine Walpole in Dereham in April 2008.

Today he pleaded guilty to wounding Bridger in Wakefield jail.

Ferreira attacked the 47-year-old just months after Bridger was sentenced to life in jail for abducting and murdering 5-year-old April Jones in Wales last year.

According to reports at the time of the attack, Bridger needed hospital treatment to a face wound after he was slashed with a makeshift knife.

On screen in court, Ferreira, who is originally from Gambia, looked bored and propped his head up with his hand for most of the proceedings as he sat at a desk in prison clothes.

At one point in the 20-minute hearing he asked one of his guards: "I thought this was going to be quick?''

And, after Judge Christopher Batty told him the case was going to be adjourned, Ferreira said to him: "Can you just not sentence me? I can't keep coming back.

"Just give me anything and move on.''

Judge Batty told him he needed a pre-sentence report to assess his level of dangerousness and decide whether a second life term was appropriate.

Ferreira was found guilty at Norwich Crown Court in 2009 of murdering Elaine Walpole in 2008.

At the time police said Ferreira moved to Dereham in 2007 with a relative after escaping civil war in Africa.

He befriended 47-year-old Miss Walpole, an alcoholic who lived alone, after they met at a shop and she bought him cigarettes.

Prosecutors at the time suggested that Ferreira was ''sex-crazed''.

Post-mortem tests showed that Miss Walpole, a former hotel worker who had three children, had been stabbed three times and bitten.

Detectives and forensic experts spent nearly a year carrying out checks to show Ferreira was an adult as he said he was 16. Once it was proved he was an adult, Ferreira was given a life sentence and told he must serve at least 22 years before being considered for parole.

Father-of-six Bridger snatched April near her home in Machynlleth. He was given a whole-life tariff by a judge in May at Mold Crown Court. The five-year-old's body has never been found.