Norwich: Four Jailed For False Imprisonment

22 June 2012, 05:00 | Updated: 22 June 2012, 15:27

Four men who repeatedly beat and threatened a 22-year-old while keeping him prisoner at a house in Norwich have been jailed.

Six people appeared at Norwich Crown Court yesterday Thursday 21 June after admitting their involvement in the seven-hour ordeal which happened in November last year.

The court heard how the victim had been lured to a house in Waterloo Road by an acquaintance under the pretence of a cannabis deal.

Several people were at the address and shortly after the victim arrived the group became aggressive and punched and kicked him to the floor where the attack continued.

The victim was accused by one of his attackers of burgling a house and stealing drugs and money belonging to them, described by prosecutors as the “catalyst” behind the incident.

During the ordeal the man was repeatedly punched and kicked while his captors drank lager. They demanded £1,000 in cash and threatened to harm the victim if he failed to pay up.

The victim made a phone call to his father pleading for money and £200 was later transferred into one of the offenders’ bank accounts.

The 22-year-old was taken from Waterloo Road to another address in the city where he was forced to break into a house and steal £60 in cash.

Demands for money had also been made to the victim’s mother who arranged to meet her son’s captors at the Five Ways roundabout where she handed over £60 in the hope he would be released. Further demands for cash were made to her over the phone at which point she could hear her son being beaten in the background and called the police.

Threats to the victim continued and a kitchen knife was held against his throat before the group moved into another room, leaving him alone in the kitchen when he made his escape, climbing through a window. As the victim escaped he realised he was being chased by his captors and ran across a rooftop and hid until he thought it was safe to leave.

The victim, who was covered in blood, met his girlfriend and went to an address to meet his mother where police arrived moments after. He suffered cuts, bruising and swelling.

The incident was investigated by detectives from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) and enquiries led officers to arrest six people who were later charged with offences.

The following all pleaded guilty to the respective offences:

 ·        Lee Grey, 27 of Waterloo Road, Norwich (false imprisonment) sentenced to three years imprisonment.

·         Scott Danny Grey, 26 of Rothbury Road, Wymondham (false imprisonment) sentenced to three years imprisonment.

·         Mark Grey, 29 of Lily Avenue, Hockering, Dereham, (false imprisonment) sentenced to two-and-a-half year’s imprisonment.

·         John Lucas, 32 of Coronation Crescent, Hempnall (false imprisonment) sentenced to three years imprisonment.

·         Rozzane Matthews, 33 of Waterloo Road, Norwich, (assisting an offender) ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work.

·         Jemma Crotch, 26 of Coronation Crescent, Hempnall (assisting an offender) ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Guy, who led the investigation, said: “The incident could have been far worse had the victim not escaped via the window. I believe that if the group had located the victim immediately after his escape he would have suffered further assaults. These types of offences are rare in the county and the police will always take complaints of this nature seriously including measures to protect vulnerable witnesses.”

Lee GreyMark GreyDaniel GreyJohn Lucas