Norwich: Man Cleared Of Manslaughter
14 December 2011, 14:26 | Updated: 14 December 2011, 14:28
A 27-year-old man from London has been cleared of manslaughter following the death of a man in Norwich on Friday 12th August 2011.
43-year-old Alan Jewitt was punched by Ion Lacatus on Prince of Wales Road early that morning and suffered a head injury, he was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where he later died. A post mortem examination found that cause of death was a haemorrhage due to the blow to the head he suffered.
Lacatus was charged with manslaughter. Today, Wednesday 14th December, a jury at Norwich Crown Court concluded that he was not guilty of the charge.
Detective Chief Inspector Neil Luckett of the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team said, "This incident highlights the dangers of drinking and engaging in acts of violence and underlines the need for people to consider the consequences of their actions. Both men had been on a night out in Norwich City Centre, which ended in tragedy. Mr Jewitt lost his life as a result of a single punch and leaves behind a young family, our sympathies remain with them at this difficult time."
Community Safety Chief Inspector Gavin Tempest said, "Norwich still has a burgeoning night-time economy, and alcohol sales and consumption is part of that. In recent years there has been a lot of progress with the police and partner agencies working as closely as possible with the licensed trade to create a safer environment.
The Norfolk 'Nightsafe' partnership has strongly supported work in Norwich to improve awareness of the risks of binge drinking and reduce its effects. There are regular multi-agency visits to keep the pressure on, particularly where there is evidence of poor management or cases where cheap drink promotions are advertised.
There are offences committed when alcohol is sold to people who are drunk. Good management of bars and clubs should stop that, but we will back that up with enforcement action as and when it is justified."