Norwich: Man Who Tried To Stab Police Officer Jailed

6 October 2012, 06:00

A Norwich man who tried to stab a police officer, and head-butted and harrassed his girlfriend has been jailed for 9 years.

23 year old Lance Beane of Primrose Crescent, Norwich, was found guilty earlier this year of grievous bodily harm, destroying and damaging property, aggravated vehicle taking, and possession of an offensive weapon.

Beane, on Tuesday 7 February 2012, head butted his partner at her home address in Norwich causing her nose to bleed heavily.  After being arrested and bailed for committing this offence, Beane continued, over the next few days, to threaten her and her family by text.

On Friday 17 February, Beane visited a relative and stole the keys to the relative's car.

After committing this offence Beane then threw a garden ornament into the front lounge window of his partner's relatives, causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Once Beane left this property he was spotted by officers driving at speed in the stolen car. Beane ignored officers in a marked vehicle and drove through residential streets reaching 60-70mph at some points. When Beane reached a cul-de-sac in the Earlham area he got out of the car and ran off. Two officers followed him on foot into a nearby housing complex.

As officers tried to arrest Beane, using Parva spray which was ineffective, he shouted abuse at them and then tried to stab one of the officers. The officer received wounds to his shoulder and hand. Beane walked away and the wounded officer and several officers followed him ordering him to stop and drop the knife. Beane was then surrounded but again resisted arrest making lunges with the knife at several other officers.

The officer received treatment for a knife wound to his hand but was released from hospital later the same day.

Detective Sergeant Sarah Knights, Norwich CID, whose team investigated the incidents, welcomed the sentencing saying, "Beane is a dangerous individual who violently threatened many of my officers on the night of 17 February. The bravery of the officers involved should be recognised and I welcome the fact that justice has been done.