Ex-Soldier Admits Killing Baby Daughter

8 November 2013, 15:28 | Updated: 8 November 2013, 15:36

A former soldier from Northampton is facing a substantial jail sentence after admitting killing his 19 months old daughter.

Lance Corporal Laim Culverhouse lost his right eye in a shooting at Afghanistan in November 2009 in which five of his colleagues were killed.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that 18 months after returning home Culverhouse assaulted his then seven-week-old daughter Khloe at the family home, leaving her fighting for her life in hospital for nearly 18 months.

Khloe was admitted to Northampton General on May 8th 2011 with sever injuries. She never recovered and died at the Rainbow Children's Hospice in Loughborough in November last year.

In a statement Northamptonshire Police said: "Khloe Abrams died at the Rainbow Children's Hospice in Loughborough on November 7, 2012. She was 19 months old. Khloe died as a result of a severe trauma following an assault which took place in May 2011 when she was seven weeks old.''

Culverhouse, of Eastern Avenue North, Kingsthorpe, Northampton, appeared in the dock at Nottingham Crown Court alongside his former partner, Khloe's mother Clare Abrams.

Wearing a black suit with blue shirt and tie, he showed no emotion during the hearing.

Sally Howes QC, prosecuting, told the court Culverhouse had pleaded guilty "to causing or allowing the death of Khloe Abrams under the heading of causing the death of Khloe Abrams''.

She added: "Mr Culverhouse is accepting that he is responsible for the unlawful act that caused the death of the child.''

No details of the assault were heard in court.

Miss Abrams, wearing a black suit and pink top, pleaded not guilty to the joint charge of causing or allowing the death of her daughter.

After a review of the evidence, Miss Abrams, of Lloyd Road, Abington, Northampton, was cleared of the charge.

Miss Howes said: "The Crown would offer no evidence against Miss Abrams in relation to these counts and invite a verdict of not guilty.''

David Howell, defending Culverhouse, told the court his client was an ex-member of the military who had suffered extensive injuries as a result of operational service in Afghanistan in 2009, including the loss of his right eye.

Culverhouse was granted bail to allow him to receive rehabilitation support, the court heard.

Adjourning the hearing for pre-sentence and medical reports, the judge Mr Justice Jeremy Baker told Culverhouse: "Please understand, and I am sure you do, it is extremely likely you will be facing a significant custodial sentence when you return to court.''

Culverhouse will be sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court in December.