Family Pay Tribute To Darlington Bus Crash Victim

11 July 2016, 17:28 | Updated: 14 July 2016, 06:22

The family of an 82-year-old woman who was killed when a bus smashed into a bank in Darlington have paid tribute to her

They say Eileen Brennan was a "beloved mother, grandmother and great grandmother who will be dearly missed''.

She was hit by the single-decker bus in Darlington town centre on Thursday.

The 52-year-old driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been bailed pending further investigations.

Durham Police said relatives thanked the public for their support "during this difficult time''.


UPDATED 7th July 2016, 1:30pm 

A man, arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after a bus crash in Darlington left an elderly woman dead, has been released on bail.

The 52 year-old bus driver has been bailed until mid-August pending further investigation.

Two pedestrians were injured, a local man, received minor injuries, and was treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital, he has since been discharged. 

Another pedestrian, a woman from Darlington, who was more seriously injured, was taken to James Cook Hospital is still receiving treatment for her injuries, her condition is described as stable.

Chief Inspector Graham Milne, said: 
"We would like to reiterate what was said yesterday, our sympathy and thoughts remain with the lady's family and friends and the wider community who witnessed this horrific incident.

"I would personally like to thank the businesses in the area who assisted the emergency services during the incident and the public who have come forward and spoken to us. All of this has helped us greatly piece together the circumstances of this collision."

There is currently a post mortem examination taking place and we hope to identify the woman later today.

Anyone with information regarding the collision is asked to call police on 101.


UPDATED: 7th July 2016, 11:30am 

An elderly woman has died after a bus crashed into a bank in Darlington town centre.

It happened on Northgate this morning.

Two pedestrians who were injured have been taken to hospital. Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

The driver of the bus, a 52 year old man, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. 

Chief Inspector Graham Milne, said:
"Obviously this is a tragic incident and I would like to extend my condolences to the deceased's family.  I would also ask anyone who was in the area at the time and witnessed the collision to contact us on 101"

The road closure is still in place from St. Cuthbert's Way roundabout to Crown Street and a pedestrian cordon from M & S to the pedestrian zone at the top of Crown Street. Diversions are in place for some time.

Emergency services are still at the scene and would like to extend their thanks to the local businesses in the Northgate area for their cooperation during the incident.

Arriva North East said the bus was Service 2 from Branksome to Red Hall.

The firm issued a statement: 
"An investigation has been launched and we are co-operating fully with the emergency services and the police, who are leading the investigation.

"Our thoughts are with the families of those involved. We know there will be people concerned about family or friends, and to support them we have set up a dedicated emergency telephone number which is 0191 520 4165.''

UPDATED 7th July 2016, 11:30am 

Three people have been injured, one seriously, after a bus crashed into a bank in Darlington

The vehicle left the road in Northgate, Darlington, and hit a Halifax bank in the town centre. 

A Durham Constabulary spokesman added: 
"The bus left the road - we don't know why - and has crashed into a Halifax.''

A spokeswoman for North East Ambulance Service said there were three casualties, one of whom was seriously hurt.

She said: 
"We have sent the air ambulance, three double-crewed ambulances, hazardous area rapid response team and an officer. We have reports of three injuries, one serious. Two patients have left for hospital.''

Pictures posted on Facebook showed a fire engine and an ambulance at the scene, which was cordoned off by police tape.

The photographs showed a screen between the bus and the bank as passers-by looked on.

John Dodsworth, who arrived at the scene just after the crash, said: 
"It's all gone crazy in town.

Someone said a lady was under the bus, that's why the cover is round the side of the bus.'' 

A witness at the scene said:
"The number 2 bus was parked up on the side of the road and pulled out before going straight into the bank. 

It was absolutely shocking, I'm still shaking now. 

I don't know if anyone in the bank was hurt; most of them were out and were taken into Boots.''

A spokeswoman for bus company Arriva confirmed that one of its vehicles was involved in the incident while serving the number 2 route.

(Photo by Paul Frazer on Facebook)