Kitten rescued from Stockton bus depot

21 February 2019, 08:13

Blakey the rescued kitten

A kitten rescued from inside a bus depot in Stockton was left with blue fur and paws after he was found covered in screen wash.

Staff at the Portrack Stagecoach depot heard meowing from within the bus wash area, before spotting the tiny cat as he climbed back inside a pillar of the washer.
 
Concerned by the danger from the high voltages of the bus wash mechanism, they successfully coaxed the kitten back out and away from the washer.
 
Involved in the rescue were Engineering Supervisor Martin Finlayson, along with Fueller/Shunters Charles Benson, Matthew Richardson and Lewis Pape.
 
The depot's resident animal lover, Lewis, was tasked with checking over the frightened animal for injuries and handing him over to the care of Cats Protection.
 
Cats Protection volunteer fosterer Gemma, from the Teesside Branch of the feline charity, took the kitten in and gave him the fitting moniker Blakey, after the bad-tempered inspector from On the Buses. 
 
Gemma said: "It was all very traumatic for Blakey, and he was very scared. There were fears he had ingested some of the screen wash but after a thorough check up and bathing, the vet at Vets4Pets, Stockton, was satisfied he hadn't swallowed any.
 
"We think he is about eight or nine weeks old but we have no idea how he got into the bus station, or whether he travelled there by bus. So far there has been no sign of mum or other kittens."

Gemma added: "Blakey is going to stay with me while he recovers. He has started to come out of his shell, and he is slowly learning to be a kitten again."

A Stagecoach North East spokesman said: "The whole team are relieved that they were able to help Blakey avoid a life threatening situation, and that he is now safe in the care of Cats Protection."

Blakey will not be ready for rehoming for some time, so anyone interested in adopting Blakey is advised to keep an eye on the Cats Protection Teesside Branch's website at www.teesside.cats.org.uk.
 
Screen wash, which contains anti-freeze, can be highly toxic to cats, and Cats Protection urges cat owners to use products that do not contain ethylene glycol, and to clean up any spillages to prevent pets walking through it.