First Minister to "set the record straight" at Sargeant inquest

26 November 2018, 10:17 | Updated: 26 November 2018, 10:26

Carl Sargeant AM

The First Minister has told Heart he "welcomes the opportunity for people to find out the truth" at the inquest in to the death of former minister Carl Sargeant.

An inquest into the death of the former Communities Secretary is starting, after he was found dead by his wife at their home in Connah's Quay last year.

His death in November 2017 came four days after he was sacked from the cabinet over allegations of "unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping".

His family have claimed he was not told the details of what he was accused of and was unable to properly defend himself.

The inquest will examine how the Welsh Assembly acted in relation to Mr Sargeant's welfare before his death.

The First Minister Carwyn Jones will give evidence on Wednesday.

In an interview with Heart's Nightly News, he said it's a chance for people to hear the truth: "I now welcome the opportunity to explain what happened as I've not been able for more than a year, whereas others have said what they wanted to."

The First Minister has also revealed he asked for counselling following Carl's death.

"The first two months particularly were really, really difficult. It's an experience unlike any other I've had and you do need to get support, that's inevitable, especially with the things that we were being said."

Records from Mr Sargeant's phone on the day of his death, and the note he left, will be heard as evidence at the inquest.