Manchester Arena Hearing Resumes
18 October 2018, 13:19 | Updated: 18 October 2018, 13:21
The names of each of the 22 victims were read out before Coroner Sir John Saunders, as lawyers and around 20 family members of the victims stood in silence at Manchester Town Hall.
One family member wiped away tears with a tissue and was hugged by a relative as stillness descended on the hearing.
They were present for the start of a further pre-inquest review hearing following the appointment in August of Sir John Saunders, one of England's most senior judges, who will preside over the inquests.
Salman Abedi, 22, from Manchester, whose family settled in the UK from Libya, detonated his device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert on May 22 last year as the concert-goers, many of them youngsters, streamed out of the venue into the arms of waiting parents.
Waiting outside was suicide bomber Salman Abedi, who had a device in his backpack.
His attack left 22 dead and hundreds injured.
Paul Greaney QC, counsel to the inquest who read out the names, said of the attacker: "He killed 22 people and many more were severely injured.
"This was, in a true sense of the word, an atrocity."
The inquests have still to be held due to the ongoing police investigation and attempts to extradite the brother of the suicide bomber, Hashem Abedi, a suspect over the murders, from Libya.
The hearing is expected to deal with administrative matters and questions of how far the inquests can progress before any criminal trial is held.
In opening remarks at the start of the hearing, Sir John said: "It was an appalling and needless waste of life. It cost the greatest loss of life of any bomb attack in the UK since the 7/7 attack in London in 2005.
"It affected not only the families of people who died, but all the people of Manchester and the rest of the country."
He said the purpose of the inquest included who, when, where and how the 22 died, but while some of the answers were clear, others will require "thorough and detailed examination of the evidence" ensuring the "full facts are brought to light."
He said the inquests will cover "difficult and upsetting evidence" and counselling services will be available for the families involved.
Sir John said he had discussed the inquests with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and it had been agreed that they could seek information to do with the deaths of the 22 victims.
But he suggested it could be up to a year before witnesses give evidence in court.
He also warned the media, with around 20 members of the press in the public gallery listening to the hearing, of the danger of reporting possibly prejudicing either a future criminal trial or an inquest jury.