Funeral for newlywed killed in gas leak

10 March 2010, 05:49 | Updated: 10 March 2010, 13:08

A funeral's taken place for an Oxford University press officer who died in a carbon monoxide leak at her home, just two months after her wedding.

It's thought Katie Haines, 31, was overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.  Her body was discovered by her husband at her home in Wokingham, Berkshire, on the night of Thursday 18 February 2010.

Her parents-in-law were taken to The Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading after also suffering the effects of breathing in the gas.  A health and safety investigation's been started.

A funeral service for Katie took place at Fairford, Gloucestershire on Wednesday 10 March 2010.


In a statement released by police, Katie’s father, Gordon Samuel, said: "Katie was the perfect daughter who was as bright as she was beautiful. My wife and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect little girl. She never gave us a second of worry in her short life. She had a smile that absolutely lit up her face and was unforgettable to anyone who saw it.

"Katie had been with Richard for five years and was so excited about her wedding. They were the most perfect couple and absolutely adored each other. She looked so beautiful - like a Hollywood film star - in her wedding dress on the day and I will never forget her twirling around on the dance floor, radiant with happiness. Katie was so happy to be embarking on her life as Mrs Haines and was looking forward to having a family with Richard.

"When it came to her career, she was very hard-working and conscientious. She studied hard to become a journalist before, more recently, becoming a press officer at Oxford University - a job she loved and was very proud to do.

"Katie was such a huge presence in all our lives and I don't know how myself, her mother Avril and husband, Richard, will fill this void in our lives.

"This is every parent's worst nightmare and we now ask that we be left alone to grieve at this very difficult time."

New bride dies in her home from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning - The Times

New bride dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning - Daily Telegraph

Horror as bride Katie Haines is gassed in bath - The Sun