Jail For Peterborough Man

11 February 2011, 14:48 | Updated: 21 February 2011, 16:15

A Peterborough man who stabbed his father-in-law to death, has today, been jailed for life.

Abbas Burhanpurwala, 32, of Copsewood, Werrington, was sentenced to a minimum of 17-and-a-half years at Southwark Crown Court today (February 11) following his guilty plea last month.

Burhanpurwala murdered 58 year-old Ismail Thathia on September 27 last year.

The court heard the attack happened at about 2pm in the dining room of Mr Thathia's home in Chatsfield, Werrington.

Burhanpurwala also stabbed his 56 year-old mother-in-law, who had invited him round, and pleaded guilty to Section 18 wounding with intent at the hearing last month. He was sentenced to eight years, to run concurrently, for that offence.
Police were called just after the attack by a neighbour who had seen Burhanpurwala's injured mother-in-law outside the family home. The force control room was called again a short while later by the victim's son who reported his parents had been stabbed by Burhanpurwala.

An officer arriving at the scene was flagged down by Burhanpurwala who had a blood-stained face and hands. He was arrested and taken to Thorpe Wood Police Station.

Mr Thathia was declared dead a short time after paramedics arrived at the scene. A post mortem examination conducted by Dr Ben Swift the following day at Peterborough District Hospital concluded he had died from stab wounds to the neck, chest and abdomen.

Burhanpurwala's mother-in-law suffered multiple stab wounds, including one in the neck, and was treated at Peterborough District Hospital. She has since been discharged from hospital.

At the scene, police discovered a small blood-stained knife near Mr Thathia's body.

Burhanpurwala made no comment in police interview before being charged with murder and attempted murder. He pleaded guilty to the first and to a lesser charge of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

Detective Chief Inspector Jim McCrorie told heart: "This was a truly horrific attack on Mr Thathia and his wife, who is still recovering from the effects. Mr Thathia was a well-respected figure in the community and this incident has had a devastating effect on his family. I hope today's sentencing can give them some sense of closure with the knowledge that justice has been done."

The family of murdered Ismail Thathia said "We would like to thank everyone for their support and condolences following the tragic events. Our dear father who was loved and admired will be dearly missed."