New Peterborough City Hospital Opens
15 November 2010, 06:00 | Updated: 15 November 2010, 09:38
Patients begin moving into the new £290 million pound Peterborough City hospital today.
Nearly 60% of the beds at the 612 bed hospital are in single rooms with en-suite, and each patient has their own free to use flatscreen TV.
The new hospital will offer services for patients not previously available in Peterborough, the most significant being that soon most cancer patients will no longer have to make the journey to other hospitals for radiotherapy.
In April 2011 the City Hospital's Haematology and Oncology Unit will open its radiotherapy suite.
Facts and figures
- 612 beds in 12 wards
- 57% of beds in single rooms that all have ensuite facilities
- the remainder are in 4-bed rooms which have a shared bathroom/wet room
- 18 operating theatres
- Expanded renal unit
- 16-bed critical care unit
- Emergency Centre
- Women and Children's Unit
- Expanded Cardiac Unit
- Coffee shops, retail outlets and a large restaurant
Move in details
- Opening to first patients on Monday 15th of November 2010
- Peterborough Maternity Unit transfers to the new Women and Children's Unit at the City Hospital on Tuesday 30th November 2010
- Accident and Emergency transfers from Peterborough District Hospital to the new Emergency Department at the City Hospial at 2am on Friday 3rd December 2010
- By the end ofteh second week of December 2010 the move should be complete