On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
15 April 2016, 14:36
A young boy has been giving evidence in the trial of a mother and her partner who are accused of murdering toddler Liam Fee.
Jurors were shown a pre-recorded interview with the child taken two days after the death of two-year-old Liam at a house in Fife in 2014.
He said he was with Rachel Trelfa or Fee, 31, and Nyomi Fee, 28, who deny murdering Trelfa's son Liam, on the day the toddler died.
The boy, who cannot be identified because of his age, is the child the pair are accused of falsely saying was responsible for Liam's death.
The High Court in Livingston was closed to the public as the recording of the social worker and police officer interviewing the boy was played.
Judge Lord Burns told jurors the boy's evidence should be taken in the same way as if he was in the court witness box and they heard it would take a long time to play the recordings.
In the video the boy said he went to a McDonald's earlier that day with the couple, another young boy and Liam and that the toddler was sitting in a high chair eating a Happy Meal.
He said he accompanied them to the property in Fife later and they were watching movies, eating food and playing with toys before Liam was put to bed.
He had also seen both women sitting in the living room drinking vodka, the court heard.
The murder charge alleges that the couple assaulted Liam at a house in Fife on various occasions between March 15 and March 22, 2014.
They also face a catalogue of allegations of wilfully ill-treating and neglecting two other young boys over a period of more than two years.
The pair are accused of falsely telling others, including police, that a young boy was responsible for Liam's death.
They deny all the charges.