Fife Murder Victim Battered 'With Rolling Pin'

8 January 2016, 15:50

A defenceless Fife grandmother murdered in her own home was bludgeoned to death with a rolling pin.

Mary Logie, 82, was found dead in the living room of her flat in Fife by a concerned neighbour who went to check on the popular churchgoer.

She had suffered serious head injuries in what police described as a "brutal'' and "horrific'' crime.

The small community of Leven, where Mrs Logie spent her entire life, has been left stunned.

Mrs Logie, who had failed to visit a friend in hospital as planned, was discovered at the Green Gates home where she lived alone on Tuesday evening.

Police believe theft could have been the motive for the attack, but said further forensic work still has to be carried out.

They have not commented on reports that the weapon - a rolling pin - was left at the scene.

There were no signs of forced entry to the house and officers are said to be keeping an open mind as to whether Mrs Logie knew her killer.

The victim had recently returned from spending Christmas with one of her sons in England and was said to have led an active life, with lots of friends.

Reverend Gilbert Nisbet, of Leven Parish Church, said: "The whole community is shocked.

"I have been the minister here for nine years and she came virtually every Sunday and I would chat to her at the door.

"Mary was friendly and outgoing, a kind lady who was bright and interesting to talk to.

"People are absolutely stunned.

"There are many church members here who will be alarmed such a thing could have happened within the community at Leven.''

The minister said Mrs Logie attended lunches at the church every Tuesday and Friday and had only recently given up driving.

The pensioner is known to have been alive on Tuesday morning, when she spoke to neighbours about her plans for the day, which included taking a bus into the town and doing some shopping.

The grandmother and mother to two sons and a daughter was found in her living room at around 8pm and subsequently pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Detective Chief Inspector Keith Hardie, the senior investigating officer in the case, described the attack as ``brutal'' and said efforts are focused on piecing together what happened in the 12-hour period between when she was last seen and when she was found dead.

Officers, who are following various lines of inquiry, have been carrying out extensive house-to-house investigations in the area and looking at CCTV footage.

Mrs Logie's family said in a statement: "Mary (Rae) Logie, a beloved mother, grandmother and friend will be sadly missed.''

Police Scotland can be contacted on 101, while Crimestoppers can be reached on 0800 555 111.