Fire sparks evacuation at Polmont
3 February 2018, 06:53 | Updated: 3 February 2018, 07:11
Young offenders were evacuated after a fire broke out an institution near Falkirk.
The blaze at HMYOI Polmont broke out just after 6pm and is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
Male offenders, aged between 16 and 21, were evacuated from a block in Iona Hall.
A spokesman for the Scottish Prison Service said: "There was a fire at Polmont which they think was caused by an electrical fault.
"It was in one of the blocks in Iona Hall.
"The fire is out now and everyone is safe."
Six fire appliances were sent to the scene and the blaze was extinguished.
Crews remain at the scene until the area is made safe.
A spokesman said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 6.01pm on Friday to reports of a fire at Polmont Young Offenders Institution.
"Operations Control immediately mobilised six appliances to the scene, where firefighters extinguished the fire.
"There are no casualties.
"Crews will remain on scene until the area is made safe."