Jurors Cry As Liam's Body Pics Shown

31 May 2016, 13:18 | Updated: 31 May 2016, 13:24

It started with a warning from the prosecutor that people sitting in the public gallery might want to leave the room.

A video showing the body of Liam Fee was about to be viewed by the court.

Twelve minutes later, a juror raised a hand and asked trial judge Lord Burns for a break in proceedings, as the harrowing scenes had reduced some members of the jury to tears.

The silent recording, taken hours after the toddler died at the property in Fife, was taken by detectives.

Going through every room in the house, numerous family photos were spotted on the walls as well as toys dotted around the rooms.

The final images of the video showed Liam lying dead on his bedroom floor, dressed in cartoon character pyjamas with a duvet covering him up to his neck.

He looked like he was sleeping.

In highly unusual court scenes, jury members wept as they watched the camera move slowly over his body.

As the video played, Liam's mother Rachel Trelfa and her partner Nyomi Fee shed tears in the dock, with both women covering their faces during parts of the footage.

It was not the only unusual development in this difficult case, and nor was it the first time the two accused had cried in court.

On the second day of the trial, they became visibly upset as their 999 call was played to the jury.

And when a nursery manager gave evidence about Liam's attendance there, Trelfa could be seen wiping her eyes as a series of photographs taken by staff of the boy playing with toys, on a slide and reading books were shown to the court.

A significant section of the evidence was also heard away from the view of the general public.

Evidence central to the Crown case came from the two boys who were also abused by the women.

Because of their young age - being only at primary school stage - the boys could not appear in court.

Instead, evidence was painstakingly gathered over many hours in recorded interviews conducted with the youngsters by a police officer and social worker.

Videos of the recordings were played to the court over the best part of two weeks, in which traumatic details of the horror inflicted upon them slowly unfolded.

Due to the sensitivities surrounding the boys' age and the nature of the evidence, the public was prevented from seeing the videos for themselves.

Only members of the media were allowed access.