M9 Crash Victim 'Conscious' When Help Arrived

19 August 2015, 08:44 | Updated: 19 August 2015, 08:55

A young mother who lay trapped in a car for three days after it crashed was conscious and trying to escape when rescuers arrived, her brother has said.

Lamara Bell, 25, lay injured for around 72 hours following the accident on the M9 in Stirlingshire on July 5, and died in hospital four days after she was found.

Her partner John Yuill, 28, died in the crash which was reported to police but not followed up.

In a post on Facebook Ms Bell's brother Martin said police investigations have revealed the mother of two was conscious and able to speak to rescuers when they found her.

He said: "She was defo 100% conscious .. She was able to tell them her name. She added 4 years on to her age and told them she was 29. She did also say she was only in the car for 20 mins.

He added: "They also said she was still moving around trying to get out the car but was trapped.

"Proud of my sis for doing so well over those three days then the following days in hospital for not giving up the fight. Brave amazing girl. She gave it her all and fought until the end.''

Ms Bell, known as Mara to friends, was found alive in the couple's blue Renault Clio on July 8 but died a week later in hospital.

The car, which had left a slip road and gone down an embankment, was reported on the day of the accident but the details were not entered into the police system.

It was eventually located by officers on July 8 following up another call from a member of the public who had seen the vehicle.

Scottish Justice Secretary Michael Matheson has ordered a review of all police call handling and the case is also the subject of an independent investigation by the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (Pirc).

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "We can confirm both families have been advised of the outcome of our investigations into the cause of the road incident.

"A report has been completed and provided to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.''

In July it emerged that police called Ms Bell's phone nine days after she died asking about the whereabouts of another family member.

Chief Superintendent John Hawkins, Forth Valley Divisional Commander, offered "sincere apologies on behalf of the force'' after the incident came to light.