Two Men In Critical Condition After Building Blast In North Lanarkshire

5 October 2017, 19:09


Two people are in a critical condition following an explosion inside a building.

Emergency services, including an air ambulance and trauma team, were sent to the scene in Bonkle Road, Newmains, North Lanarkshire at around 1.30pm on Thursday.

Two men have been taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary for treatment to serious injuries.

Motherwell and Wishaw MSP Clare Adamson said the incident is thought to have taken place in a pastoral centre in the street where work has been taking place.

Police said nearby properties were evacuated as a precaution and an investigation has been launched into the cause of the explosion with gas engineers and the Health and Safety Executive.

"I understand that there are no outstanding safety concerns at this time," Ms Adamson said.

"My thoughts are with the two individuals injured to whom I wish a speedy recovery."

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: "Operations Control immediately mobilised two fire appliances to the scene after the alarm was raised at 1.29pm on Thursday."

The Scottish Ambulance Service said the first unit arrived at the scene within three minutes of the alarm being raised.

"We dispatched two ambulances, our special operations response team, the trauma team, an officer and our Helimed air ambulance," a spokesman said.

"Two patients were taken to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary accompanied by trauma doctors."

A local man said his house shook with the explosion.

John Wright wrote on Twitter: "Something just exploded or hit the ground in Newmains, my whole house just shook, anyone know?"

Gas company SGN said supplies to the building have been turned off and it is investigating the cause of the blast.

Local MP Neil Gray said he was shocked to hear about the incident.

"I have contacted Police Scotland and will keep in touch with them for updates as things develop," he said.

"I am available should anyone need my help and my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery go to those who have been injured in the blast."

Residents were later allowed back into their homes.

A small emergency presence remained at the scene on Thursday evening after the blast.

One eyewitness, who asked not to be named, said: "I was walking past and there was a huge bang just as I was heading home.

"I wondered what it was, then about 10 minutes later the police and emergency services arrived.

"I still don't know what caused it."

The explosion led to cordons being erected around the blast area where shards of glass could be seen on the road.

It was closed to traffic while gas investigators probe the cause of the explosion.