Man jailed for life over 'evil' murder of Glasgow-born wife in Pakistan

20 December 2017, 06:45 | Updated: 20 December 2017, 06:46

Mumtaz Sattar

A man has been jailed for life after being convicted of murdering his Glasgow-born wife shortly after they arrived in Pakistan, the family lawyer has said.

Mumtaz Sattar, 38, a mother-of-two, was killed after they arrived at Lahore Airport on Saturday September 21, 2013

Her husband Abdul Sattar claimed that he and his wife were doped, robbed and thrown out of a taxi.

However his wife's family instructed Glasgow based lawyer Aamer Anwar to instruct a private prosecution team in Pakistan.

Mr Anwar said Mr Sattar and three co-accused have now been convicted in Pakistan of the murder of Mrs Sattar.

They were sentenced to life imprisonment and fined 700,000 Rupees at the Additional Session Court in Shahkot, Punjab, Pakistan.

All four have been convicted of doping and robbing Mrs Sattar and were sentenced to seven years custody with hard labour for each charge and a 30,000 Rupee fine for the robbery.

In a statement issued on behalf of Mrs Sattar's family, Mr Anwar said: "The Mumtaz Sattar's family have struggled long and hard for justice following her murder in September 2013.

"This was a coldly calculated and evil murder perpetrated by Abdul Sattar and three other men.

"The sole motive appears to have been his greed for money and wish to remarry. He took her to Pakistan with a plan hatched to murder her within hours of their arrival.

"He hoped by burying her within 12 hours and a wildly concocted story he would cover his tracks and escape to the UK."

Mrs Sattar leaves two daughters, aged 14 and 17, who live with their maternal grandmother in Glasgow.

Mr Anwar added: "I can also advise that when I was instructed I did so on the basis that Mumtaz's family would not seek the death penalty in the event of conviction, her brother Sarfraz Ali confirmed that the family would not be seeking to appeal the sentence by asking for the death penalty.

"Mumtaz's family believe that she will now be in peace and that they can finally grieve for her loss as they have justice."

Mr Sattar ran a newsagents in Port Glasgow, Inverclyde.