M&D's Partially Reopened After Ride Crash

30 June 2016, 15:31 | Updated: 30 June 2016, 19:11

M&D's amusement park has partially re-opened following a rollercoaster crash which put 10 people in hospital.

The Tsunami ride derailed and hit the ground at the theme park at Strathclyde Country Park, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, on Sunday afternoon.

Eight children and two adults were taken to hospital in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

Three children, two of them in a serious condition, remain in the care of medics.

The theme park was closed following the incident as police, engineers and the Health and Safety Executive inspected the ride and the five gondolas that plunged 20ft to the ground.

Indoor areas at the complex have now reopened but all the external areas and rides remain closed.

A spokeswoman for M&D's said: "M&D's indoor facilities reopened on Thursday June 30. This includes the family restaurant, Amazonia, Cosmic Bowl, Krazy Congo, Game Zone and Guiseppe's coffee shop.

"The theme park will remain closed until further notice.''

M&D's has previously said the Tsunami ride had been closed on Saturday due to a "minor electrical fault'' but was "fully operational'' when the park opened on Sunday.

Director Douglas Taylor has said his thoughts are with those injured and that he was ''devastated'' at the first such accident in 50 years in business.

The incident sparked a large response from the police, firefighters and paramedics.

In a statement, Police Scotland said on Thursday: "The joint investigation into the circumstances of the incident at M&D's on Sunday June 26 is continuing, between Police Scotland and the Health and Safety Executive.

"We have been made aware that the owners/operators have taken the decision to open the indoor complex of the park, which includes the kids soft play area, bowling and Amazonia this morning.

"The rides and theme park area remain closed as investigations continue.''

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde confirmed on Thursday that two boys, aged 11 and 12, remain in a serious condition at the city's Royal Hospital for Children.

One other child, aged 11, is in a stable condition at the same hospital.

Seven people have now been discharged from hospitals in Glasgow and Lanarkshire.