Murder Inquiry Into Aberdeen Flat Deaths

20 July 2016, 14:26 | Updated: 20 July 2016, 14:30

A young mother has described how she heard screaming and a female shouting for help at a block of flats where two people were murdered and a third person fell to his death.

A heavy police presence remains at the 19-storey Donside Court in the Tillydrone area of Aberdeen following the disturbance at about 8.15pm on Tuesday.

Police Scotland said the bodies of a man and woman were found within their flat and the deaths are being treated as murder.

Detectives are also investigating the death of a second man who fell from the tower block, where a blue forensic tent remained close to the main entrance on Wednesday morning.

It is understood all three lived in the block of flats and were known to each other.

Detective Chief Inspector Keith Hardie said officers are not looking for anyone in connection with what he described as a ``contained incident''.

Toni Dey, 19, who lives in nearby Gordon's Mills Road, said she heard screaming from the block.

The mother-of-two told the Press Association: "I heard some girl screaming 'help me, help me', then about 10 minutes after I heard loads of screaming and shouting.

"I didn't call the police as I thought it was kids messing around, then I heard loads of police.

"I can't remember exactly what time I heard it all. I had messaged my mum on Facebook saying there was a lot of screaming but couldn't see what had happened.

"It was awful to hear all that, then actually hear what had happened.''

No officers were injured in the incident but the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (Pirc) is to review the death of the second man as ``officers were present at the time of the death''.

Mr Hardie said: "At about 8pm last night we received a call from a local resident regarding an ongoing disturbance at Donside Court.

"Officers attended here and within one of the flats we found the bodies of a male and a female.

"I'm entirely satisfied that both these individuals were murdered and we are investigating the circumstances surrounding that.

"We can also confirm that a second man died at the scene a short time after officers attended.

"He came from one of the balconies at a fair height and died from the injuries he sustained when he landed.

"Because the police were in attendance at the time, what we do on the instruction of the procurator fiscal is refer the circumstances for an independent review.

"That's not to say the police did anything wrong, far from it, but it's standard practice nowadays.

"We're not looking at anyone else in relation to this incident and I would like to reassure the public that this is a contained incident and there is no wider threat to the community.''

A police presence remained at the site on Wednesday as a handful of mourners left floral tributes.

One resident said she saw a man falling as she looked out the window of her home on the fifth floor.

The 20-year-old, who asked not to be named, said: "I saw him falling.

"I was playing on my computer and I heard something happening and at that I moment I looked out the window.''

She said she did not know the man well but he "always smiled when you said hello to him''.

Local councillor Martin Greig said: "There will be families grieving profoundly at this terrible news. Our sympathies are with those who have lost loved ones.''

A Pirc spokeswoman said: "The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service has instructed Pirc to undertake an investigation following a disturbance in which two men and a woman died at a flat in Donside Court, Aberdeen, on Tuesday July 19.

"The investigation will focus on the circumstances leading up to the death of the second man following the arrival of police officers at the scene.

"A report on the commissioner's findings will be submitted to the Crown Office in due course.''