Murdered Mary Had Dozens Of Injuries

6 December 2016, 16:51 | Updated: 6 December 2016, 16:54

A pensioner allegedly murdered in her own home had 31 injuries to her head and neck, a court has heard.

A post-mortem examination found 82-year-old Mary Logie had "multiple'' skull fractures and died of ``blunt force trauma'' to her head.

The pensioner also had bruising on her hands and fractured fingers, which a jury heard could have been inflicted as she tried to defend herself.

The court also heard from a paramedic who told how he found the elderly lady with ``catastrophic'' injuries as he made ``futile'' attempts to resuscitate her.

Mrs Logie was pronounced dead at her home in Leven, Fife, on January 5 this year.

The evidence emerged on the second day of the trial of Sandra Weir at the High Court in Edinburgh.

Weir, 41, denies murdering the pensioner by repeatedly striking her on the head and body with a rolling pin or similar instrument and has lodged a special defence saying she was elsewhere at the time.

Dr Ian Wilkinson, 35, a consultant forensic pathologist with NHS Lothian, told the jury he carried out a post-mortem examination on the 5ft 2ins pensioner.

"I found multiple fractures to the skull, large areas of fracturing on the right hand side of the skull and more localised areas of fracturing further back in the skull,'' he told the court as the jury looked at a computerised image of the injuries on Mrs Logie's head.

He went on: "At post-mortem, a total of 31 injuries to the head and neck were identified, including 18 lacerations.''

The witness agreed that his findings would be consistent with Mrs Logie having been struck by a rolling pin and with her using her hands and arms to try to protect herself from a blunt object.

Dr Wilkinson described the injuries as severe and told the court: "Death would be the expected outcome.''

He told prosecutor Alex Prentice QC he could not rule out the possibility that Mrs Logie had been attacked on two separate occasions.

He also told defence QC Murray Macara he was not able to say when the pensioner suffered the injuries which claimed her life, nor how many times she was attacked.

Earlier, paramedic practitioner Alan McIntyre, 60, told how he was called to Mrs Logie's home on the evening of January 5.

"I entered the house and I could see an old lady lying on the floor of the living room. I can see a lot of blood, more than you would expect from a simple head injury from a fall,'' he told the court.

He said he thought there had been a "murder'' and went on: "As soon as I saw the lady, I thought something bad had happened.''

He also said he could hear moaning coming from the pensioner and added: "I could feel catastrophic injuries.''

The paramedic also told jurors: "Her hands were swollen like boxing gloves, they were really badly swollen.''

The paramedic made what he described as ``futile'' efforts to resuscitate her. She was pronounced dead at 8.51pm, the court heard.

Mr McIntyre told the court he thought something was not right with the room and that he could see ``a circle of blood that looked as though it had been cleaned''.

Earlier, the court heard that DNA from the accused was among that found in a swab of the handle of a rolling pin recovered from Mrs Logie's Green Gates home.

A joint minute of facts agreed by both sides and read to the jury states: "The swab contained DNA present from three people.

"These people are Mary Logie, the accused Sandra Weir and another person.''

A swab of a purse found at the home had DNA from five people on it, including Mrs Logie and the accused, jurors heard.

Weir is accused of murder and of attempting to defeat the ends of justice by cleaning blood from a floor and disposing of and washing clothes.

She is also accused of stealing unknown quantities of money, two rings and Mrs Logie's bank card or cards between April 1 2010 and January 5 this year.

Prosecutors also allege she used Mrs Logie's bank card to steal £4,460 at cash machines around Fife between December 2014 and January 4 this year.

Weir denies the charges against her.

The trial, before judge Michael O'Grady QC, continues on Wednesday.