Pair Accused of Fife Boy's Murder Cry At 999 Call

12 April 2016, 19:50

A mother and her civil partner accused of murdering her two-year-old son wept in the dock as their 999 call was played to a jury.

Rachel Trelfa or Fee, 31, and Nyomi Fee, 28, were visibly upset as the tape was played during the second day of their trial at the High Court in Livingston.

The couple deny murdering toddler Liam in Fife in 2014 and attempting to defeat the ends of justice by falsely incriminating another young boy.

In the 999 call made shortly before 8pm on March 22, a distressed Fee can be heard sobbing and saying ``oh god, oh god'' and ``please, please'' as she attempts to perform CPR on Liam with the help of the operator.

Fee said: "Can you please hurry up, my baby's not breathing.

"I think he's dead, he's not breathing, he's white.''

She can then be heard telling the female operator that another young boy had "strangled'' Liam.

She said: "He held his mouth closed, he said he held his mouth closed and his neck because he was crying, because he was trying to hurt him.''

The jury heard evidence from James Graham, 44, an ambulance technician who attended at the couple's house within minutes of the 999 call being made, alongside paramedic Alexander Higgins, 46.

Mr Graham told the jury: "The child was lying on the floor, he was facing us at that point. He was white. There were no signs of life, he appeared to be lifeless.''

He said Fee had shouted at another young boy: "You tell these men what you've done.''

Mr Graham said: "He just stood there with a look to say, I don't know what I've done but it must be bad.''

Describing Liam, Mr Higgins told the jury: "When we first arrived he was very waxy looking, his skin was very pale and waxy.''

Neighbour Sarah Robinson, 48, a mental health nurse, described how she had heard female crying or wailing coming from the couple's home that evening.

"We were just sitting watching TV as normal and we heard like a wailing that was coming from next door,'' she said.

"It was like crying or wailing. It was obviously someone very upset.''

Earlier, Fee's mother Janice Fee, 57, a part-time carer from the north of England, was taken through a statement she gave to police about a phone call she received from her daughter that same day.

Advocate Depute Alex Prentice QC, reading the statement to the court, said: "She was screaming and very upset, saying Liam's dead, Liam's dead.

"I could also hear Rachel screaming. I was in shock and didn't know what was happening.''

Ms Fee said her daughter told her a young boy had told police he had ``done it'', the court heard.

The statement read to the jury continued: "He had said how he did it. She said (the boy) held his nose and held his throat, that he had told the police twice.''

She told the jury Liam was "spoiled'' and "a normal little boy'' but changed in the months before he turned two.

"He wouldn't talk any more,'' she said. "He used to say nana but he wouldn't speak to me.

"He had a blanket and he was sort of trying to hide himself all the time. He didn't want to be seen. He hid his face.''

The murder charge alleges that the couple assaulted Liam at a house in Fife on various occasions between March 15 and March 22, 2014.

Trelfa and Fee repeatedly inflicted "blunt force trauma to his head and body'' causing injuries so severe that he died on March 22 that year, it is claimed.

Between that date and April 30 2014, the two are said to have taken steps to avoid detection, arrest and prosecution, thereby attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

Another charge denied by the women alleges that they assaulted Liam on various occasions between January 2012 and March 2014.

Trelfa and Fee also deny a catalogue of allegations of wilfully ill-treating and neglecting Liam as well as two other young boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, over a period of more than two years.

One of these boys is the youngster they are accused of falsely blaming Liam's death on.

The charges of ill-treatment against that boy include allegations that he was locked in a makeshift cage for long periods, forced to eat his own excrement and had a cage filled with rats put on his head.

The allegations concerning the other young boy include that he was forced to eat his own vomit and was tied naked to a chair in a room where rats, snakes and a boa constrictor were kept.

Trelfa and Fee deny all the charges. The trial, before Lord Burns, continues.