On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Mark Wright 12pm - 4pm
21 June 2017, 14:07
The parents of an eight-year-old boy who died after being hit by a falling gravestone in a Glasgow cemetery have begun civil proceedings against the local authority.
Lawyers acting for Ciaran Williamson's father and mother have submitted claims against Glasgow City Council following the death of the schoolboy more than two years ago.
Ciaran was seriously injured in Craigton cemetery in the Cardonald area of the city on May 26 2015. He was taken to Yorkhill children's hospital but later died.
An investigation was launched into the death and the Crown Office subsequently concluded no criminal charges would be brought as a result.
A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) has heard evidence over a number of days since it got under way towards the end of last year, with the sheriff due to issue her determination in due course.
Lawyers representing Ciaran's father Ryan and mother Stephanie confirmed they have started a civil legal claim against the local authority.
Representing the boy's father and paternal grandmother, Eilish Lindsay of Thompson's solicitors told the Evening Times: ''We're at the very early stages of the claim now.
''The claim has been intimated to the council.
''The first stage of the case is that we are making a claim, in writing. That went to the council at the end of the evidence being heard of the FAI.''
Mark Gibson, a partner at Digby Brown Solicitors, for Ciaran's mother Stephanie Griffin, told the newspaper: ''We will ensure that all legal avenues available to our clients, as they seek to establish what happened, are kept open. This includes civil actions.
''We have taken initial steps in this regard and will take further actions as and when it is appropriate to do so.''
A spokesman for Glasgow City Council said: ''Any claim would be dealt with by our insurers. It would be inappropriate for us to comment during the fatal accident inquiry.''